This very old church is seen on the way from Panaji to Old Goa. It is believed that this church was erected sometime around 1542 or 1543. Official documents indicate that the cost of construction was borne by the public treasury and not the church. This church is believed by many to have been erected on the orders of the Archbishop Dom Fr. Alexio de Menezes, but this is a misconception since the Archbishop took over the affairs of the diocese on in 1595.
The building itself is relatively small and has nothing very remarkable about it and the façade wears a timeworn look. One of the altars bears the image of St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles, to whom the church is dedicated. The backdrop of the main altar still retains the old wooden frame, engraved with thin marine shells. The floor bears some inscriptions that are now almost completely worn away.