This striking example of Gothic architecture is located in Saligao, which used to be the Nagoa parish chaplaincy. The foundation stone of this church was laid in 1867. Construction took seven years to complete and was finished in 1873. Upon completion of construction, the chapel was accorded the elevated to the status of parochial church and the church received blessing on 26th November 1873.
The shrine here of Nossa Senhora Mai de Deus or Our Lady Mother of God was recovered from the ruins of the Mai de Deus Convent in Daugim, Old Goa.