Very recently I tasted some delicious prawn balchao, at a relative’s place. When I inquired about the recipe I was told it was from Joyce Fernandes’ famous ‘Home Style Cuisine’ cook book. So I have decided to share it with you.
- 1 kg. Prawns (shelled and deveined)
- 2 tsps salt
- 2 tsps. Turmeric powder
- 300ml. oil
- 1 onion (cut fine)
- 8 curry leaves
- Paste of 1 pod garlic & 5 inch ginger
- 4 or 5 tbsps. Spice paste No. 6
- 3 tsps. Sugar
- Wash the prawns well and drain out the water completely.
- Apply salt and turmeric powder and allow it to stand for 2 hours.
- Drain out any excess water.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan, fry the onion till tender, add prawns and fry them well.
- In another pan, heat the remaining oil, add curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste and spice paste.
- Stir-fry on slow fire for a few seconds.
- Mix the fried prawns and sugar.
- Simmer for 2 minutes and keep the pan down from the fire.
- Cool and bottle.
Today there are many Goan recipe books in the market, but Joyce’s cook book has got world wide acclaim. If you have not already got it, I recommend you go out and pick up a copy!