This is one of the first churches to be built in Goa and was definitely in existence by 1541. The original structure was completely rebuilt from its foundations in 1619. This was quite a feat, when one considers the small population at the time and the sheer size of the new church It is a remarkable indicator of the religious climate prevailing at the time and also the vast wealth at the disposal of the church. The building has a relatively simple interior, given the standards of the time, although the backdrop to the main altar, dedicated to Mary Immaculate, is impressive enough.
The two altars that flank the main altar are what really catch the eye. The one on the left is dedicated to Jesus Crucified and the one on the right to Our Lady of the Rosary. Each is intricately adorned with heavily gilded, deeply carved ornamentation good examples of the work of that period. Beside each altar is a marble statue, one of St. Peter and the other of St. Paul. The Chapel of St. Francis Xavier is located in the south transept to the right of the main altar and a statue of the saint occupies the centre of the reredos.