By Rebecca Pereira
International Museum Day was recently observed globally. The same was true in Goa, with a number of museums curating special themes to celebrate the day. Quite alot of the things on display in these museums were created by talented Goan artists of yesteryear.
To encourage the Goan artists of tomorrow, initiatives are also being taken by the government and other institutions.
Goan Artist of the Year Award 2016
In memory of artist Chandrakant Shankar Kerkar, Museum of Goa (MOG) is initiating an annual Goan artist of the Year award of Rs.1 Lakh. The competition is open to all interested Artists working in Goa under the age of 35 years. Participants can fill up the application form at MOG. Apart from the cash bonanza, the selected work will be exhibited at Chandrakant Shankar Kerkar memorial show at MOG, which is scheduled to be to be held in the months of October and November, this year.
Chandrakant Shankar Kerkar
Subodh Kerkar, the founder Director of MOG has decided to dedicate the Goan Artist of the Year Award 2016, to his father Chandrakant Shankar Kerkar, who has immensely contributed to the visual art scene of Goa. Chandrakant was born in Keri, which is the furthest village to the North of Goa, in the year 1927.
He studied art under Mr. S. L. Haldankar in Bombay, while pursuing his masters in literature. He has painted hundreds of oils and watercolours, which depicts Goa of his youth. The collection is an invaluable documentation of Goa’s rich past. Chandrakant has also painted around 30 portraits of national leaders for the Goa assembly. He passed away in 2007.
Government Schemes on Art and Culture
Apart from encouraging artists with awards, the Goa government has set up several schemes related to art and culture. This ranges from organising art shows, cultural camps, courses and festivals. The grants vary for the different schemes offered.
The following is a list of schemes available:
- Grants to the Institutions
- Schemes of West Zone Cultural Centre, Udaipur
- Establishment of Ravindra Bhavans/Cultural Complexes
- Inter State Exchange of Cultural Troupes
- Presentation of Awards/Rewards/Puraskar
- Kala Sanman to Eminent Artists in indigent circumstances (Financial Assistance)
- Kalakar Kritadnatya Nidhi
- Organisation of Camps/ Courses/ Festival/ Cultural Shows/ Lecture Series
- Supply of Cultural Equipments to Bhajani Groups/ Choir Groups
- Promotion of Literature on Art & Culture
- Financial Assistance to long term projects
- The Goa Golden Jubilee Awards For Art Compitition
- Goa state library financial assistance
- Grant to cultural organization-maintenance
- Presentation of Kala Gaurav awards
- Presentation of yuva srujan puraskar
- Gomant vibhushan award
- Scheme D D Konsambi research fellowship
- Financial Assistance for children with special needs
- Grants to Libraries Run by Non-Government
- Interest-free education loan scheme
- Scheme interstate exchange of cultural troupes
Are you a budding Goan artist? Why not find out and avail of some of the schemes.