Chapora was originally built by Adil Shah of Bijapur. Later the fort was reconstructed by the Portuguese who almost completely redesigned the fort, leaving almost nothing of the original structure. It is located near the Chapora river and is built of red laterite. It lies in ruins today after being deserted by the Portuguese in 1892. Among the ruins, one can spot the openings to two tunnels that were used as supply routes into the fort. Some Muslim tombstones can also be seen on the southern slopes. A climb up the fort rewards the climber with spectacular, panoramic views of Vagator.
Subscribe to our mailing list to stay updated!
November 16, 2021
October 21, 2021
December 13, 2021
December 14, 2021