International Yoga Day celebrated on June 21 is a matter of pride to every Indian. Goans known for their susegad attitude seem to be embracing this age old practice. Yoga mainly consists of breathing exercises, meditation and various body postures. Good health and relaxation are direct benefits of Yoga. Goa is gearing up for the festival.
“The people of India can all come together and be united with yoga. We can pass on this heritage to other countries. Yog Vidhi is the way to go,” said Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar speaking about the event in a report.
Goa & International Yoga Day
The state government is putting its weight behind the international event. In Goa various events are being organised across the state to mark the day. Some of them are for school children and some are open to the public. The below mentioned programs are conducted in association with Breathe in Breathe out and Prati Yogayana.
Events: Colleges, institutes and Community centers
- St Xavier Higher Secondary School (Mapusa) – 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM
- Adarsh Vanita High School (Pajifond-Margao) – 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM
- MES College of Arts and Commerce (Zuarinagar) – 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM
- GVM’s Dr Dada Vaidya College of Education (Farmagudi) – 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM
The above educational institutes will have demonstration on Yoga.
- Dr Shyamaprasad Mukherjee stadium (Dona Paula) – The one day program starts at 7:30 AM.
All the urban health centers, community health centers and primary health centers across the state.
- Menezes Braganza hall (Panaji) – 10:30 AM to 1 PM. Deputy Chief Minister Francis D’Souza will be the chief guest for the event. Panjim MLA Sidharth Kuncalienker will be the guest of honour.
- Central Library (Panaji) – 3 PM to 4:30 PM.
- NIO (Dona Paula) – 6 PM to 7 PM.
June 22, 2016
- Goa Medical College (Bambolim) – 3 PM to 4:30 PM.
- The International Center Goa (Dona Paula) – 6 PM to 7 PM.
- Rosary College of Arts and Commerce (Navelim) – 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Fisheries Minister Avertano Furtado will be the chief guest at the event. Fr Simon Diniz will be the guest of honour.
The day is conveniently planned to accommodate people with diverse timings. “Attendees can participate in the day long event according the timings that suits one’s needs,” remarked Parsekar in a report.
Recently, we had run a piece on benefits of Yoga. Please refer to it to get detailed information.